Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:58 pm

Post subject: The Red Dragon Inn
PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2011 7:03 pm 
Forum God

Not the online RPG, but rather the boardgame.

Y'know how the stereotypical adventure starts out in a tavern and ends there, too? Well, this game begins the same way! You and your party have just gotten back from slaying monsters and looting their corpses, and now with your ill-won gold, you're back in the tavern and celebrating in traditional adventurer style: by getting shit-faced drunk.

I found this game in Belgium originally and happened, by luck, to find a copy in my local gaming store. I've only got the first one -- the second one is apparently universally sold out, and the third one hasn't been published yet. But man, it's a blast!

Anyone ever played it? What'd you think?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: The Red Dragon Inn
PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:41 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

I know this is two months late, but I just found this game and and played it two days ago in celebration of school finishing!

It's a lot of fun! I am on a waiting list for the second and I am going to get the "Gambling I'm In!" deck as well.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2011 11:37 pm 
Forum God

If you play the Gambling? I'm In! --- then let me know how it is. They had it on sale at the local gaming store, but I wasn't sure if I'd like it, so I opted not to buy it just yet.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 3:36 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Will do sir!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 6:12 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

In my spare time yesterday, my friends and I played "Gambling? I'm In?". As a promise kept, here's my take on the game.

What I liked:

-A deck of 90 cards! (No warping in my box!)
-2-10 players (Basically all of my friends can join in and play)
-9 games to play from within
-Games which scale of ease of use factor- simple (4 games), moderate (3 games) and complex (2 games), so it's not set.
-We had a good time, but not a great time like the original board game
-Option to integrate into the board game at will OR play it alone, a big plus here.
-Games can go as slow or as fast as you want, due to difficulty.
-2 sets of instruction pages- one for the integration and for the card game itself. (Having two people search and clarify things at once is useful).

What I didn't like:

Pieces

---You need to use dice that wasn't included in the game. Luckily for us, it's the six sided kind, so that being the most common, it wasn't hard for our group (We have about 86 of them in our collective possession). But stll, IT COULD BE THERE FOR 40 CENTS!

-The box is oversized to what it required and there is an empty slot in the box for no reason- engineering errors perhaps?

Integration with RDI:

---Integrating the game into the basic board game is confusing and a bit convoluted, but we definitely need more practice. So take this as you will.

---"Gambling? I'm In" requires skill, and if integrating it with RDI, skilled players at both strategy and the game itself will have definitive advantage over the board game; and

---Time. Now with people playing more gambling cards to try this game out, we argued whether or not to play this expansion at a given round. At first it seemed like a novelty, then it just elongated the game itself. The person who got game over, then had to wait longer to play again.

Artwork

---Artwork lacks variety (unlike the board game itself) where races are concerned (only Humans are on the cards!); and

---Artwork is not very colourful. Unlike traditional playing cards with pictorial Jacks, Queens, Kings and fancy Aces- the card game look likes Pokemon Blue/Red- with single palletes and their level of intensity.

Games

---Some games require a good deal amount of table space (See: "Wheels" game); and

---Some are convoluted, though it may just be needing practice (Most likely needing practice)

Summary

This expansion is best played stand-alone in my opinion. While it's a nice touch to playing within the RDI board game, it will elongate that game as one is effectively playing two games at once. Skill and now mentioned- luck makes a difference as well. We had fun playing it, but not as much as playing the core game itself.

If you want to support the RDI franchise and team, you should buy this game. If money's tight or you're angry at the company, you can definitely live without it and the fun you can potentially miss can be made up with another round of RDI.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2011 6:18 pm 
Forum God

Hey, guess what!! Red Dragon Inn #2 and #3 are FINALLY available again :) I already bought my copies. If you want yours, head over to Slugfest Games

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:05 am 
Initiate of Imoen

Oh, I got my copies two weeks ago! Haha!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:46 pm 
Newcomer

SweaterMonkeys wrote:
Oh weight watchers points calculator I got my copies two weeks ago! Haha!

SAme here Excited :D

Offline Profile