Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mon Oct 22, 2018 10:33 am

Post subject: Re: Status of the ToB mod?
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:17 am 
Acolyte of Imoen

It would be just beyond awesome to get to play the Imoen Romance all the way through one day. But if that, for one reason or another, can't happen, I'd at least want to know what was planned, the possibilies, the endings and whatnot. Even after over 8 years of my first time playing the mod, the uncertainty is the worst part.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:26 am 
Acolyte of Imoen

I can at least say the rumor I heard about over 30 endings turns out to be true...

If you do know someone that is a fantasy writer, and loves BG as much as we do, do send them on over here. Even if the dialogues seem a little disjointed between SoA and ToB, at least we would have resolution :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 4:34 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Sarevok08 wrote:
I can at least say the rumor I heard about over 30 endings turns out to be true...

If you do know someone that is a fantasy writer, and loves BG as much as we do, do send them on over here. Even if the dialogues seem a little disjointed between SoA and ToB, at least we would have resolution :)

oh well, screw this. i might not be the quickest writer due to my spare free time, but in relation to the development of this mod in the past few years, i'm a hurricane no problem. i'd have to do a quick play-through of the Imoen-Mod as well to get an idea of her talking again, but that will cost the least time.

send me whatever Kind of excerpt Lord M has given to you and I'll look into it and try me at a few dialogues this Weekend.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:52 pm 
Newcomer

And the gates of heaven opened upon my very eyes

I cannot believe what i'm reading, we have a skilled writer interested in pursuing this epic journey already ? ! Holy ******* **** and it's not even Christmas !!!

Ya'll know what time it is... it's TIME FOR THE HAPPY DANCE !
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS1cLOIxsQ8

Ahem.. okay, maybe i'm getting a little too excited here... I really do hope you got the skills, the time and the patience to offer an epic conclusion to this Romance. I am aware that you have been promoted moderator of the forum and i'm sure glad you're still sticking around, but writing and scripting around an already existing character, fully grasping her personality and be able to translate it in her evolution along the protagonist requires an entirely different skillset. Now i'm convinced you're a very skilled writer already, else you wouldn't even bother trying, but have you written this kind of content before ? if so is there a way you could provide links or examples ?

Also, the previous succession was treated with the direct permission of the original writer. In this case, the rightful successor should be designated by T.C.Dale herself, but as you all know, she's gone missing...
So... the question here is: what should we do ? Do some sort of vote for approval by the community ? Just go for it without anyones consent and see how it goes ? Something else i haven't thought about right now ?

I'll admit i'd be glad just to see the ToB part finally done, but i'm just a little scared to know if we"re doing it the right way ethically speaking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:22 am 
Initiate of Imoen

For your second Point; creator of Content for the ToB part is Lord M and he sort of gave it away to Sarevok, under which premise, I don't know. I assume if Sarevok advertises for a writer, it is part of their mutual consens that someone's is to try his best at this.

For your concern about my writing abilities; fair Point, absolutely. I have not written any mod Content before and I'm not a writer irl either. I am a reader, roleplayer and dedicated fan of this mod and that's all to it. But if you want my blunt opinion on that; I have not played a single mod that was not written by an amateur. Lord M was an Amateur and excuse me (don't ban me please :D) but TCDale was regardless of a few short stories she wrote an Amateur as well when she wrote V2. This is a 15 years old Computer game we are talking about and most of us are nostalgic Fantasy geeks in their twenties who are working or studying and this game means escape from reality for us, in an entertaining Kind of way.

Point is; no I am not the perfect writer but most likely not worse than any other.

I absolutely agree with you that a Expansion of an appreciated work bears the risk to disappoint and has high expectations linked to it. Hence unlike 90% of all Computer game Sequels, it should be approached with plenty of time for revisions and Detail. If it happens that I (or anyone for that part) writes on a ToB installment, it should take Revision and inspirational Input from several dedicated Imoen-lovers and by no means should it be in the Hands of a single Person to decide all for oneself. I imagine the whole process as a first step: dialogues with eyes on Content, creating a ground structure to be worked on, then second step: revisions to make sure they hit the right tone, then more writing, Detail writing, more revisions and so on. All along with the involvement of several People.

In the end it Comes down to Team work, dedication and much spare time if we ever want to see a ToB part (it's been not Happening fopr what, 10 years now?) and I'm up for it, that's all I'm saying. From nothing, Comes nothing and sometimes all it takes is a first step to get things rolling (best example for that is Sarevok coming by, there's been more Progress in the past 3 weeks than in the past 3 years.)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 1:38 am 
Acolyte of Imoen

Not sure about the 3 weeks, 3 years thing. I only bug fixed what was already coded, whilst difficult, a much simpler and faster task than coding what is in existence.

Lord Mirrabbo said "Taig seems to be out for good" when talking to them. I don't blame them really. They waited months after writing to get a beta, and when they did, at the time all that worked unfortunately was the dream sequences. Then again for months they advertised for a coder to keep working on it, and I guess they just gave up, which I can hardly blame them for.

I think I share the opinion of "ToB is almost a new mod, so we can probably mod that without stepping on to many toes" and I can (hopefully) code the rest of the SoA dialogues, since I have permission from the original coder to do so

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 11:16 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

)ok, i've spent half an hour the past days reading dialogues of TCDales V2 while playing through Lord M's Version (it takes a while because my game is heavily modded and every lousy goblin goes bad-ass-mode) and taking notes on Imoen's characteristics. for me, most annoying and time affording is going through the "tool and ignorant"-answer Options to see Imoens reaction when being treated like shit. Generally speaking I can tell by now that TCDale appears to have approached the matter in a more "serious" way; til now I have the Impression she took out or at least massively re-wrote the more absurd and very un-rpgish replies, at least I haven't stumbled across many of These yet. As for Imoen, my notes can be summed up as damaged, innocence lost, fragile, childish at times/prank(-ish) (-> distraction, recovery). took notes such as nostalgic from banters from the original game. Overall, im working myself in

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:42 am 
Acolyte of Imoen

Good stuff ohtatyaro. Glad to see your taking some good time to work through the mod and see how it's written. There is quite a number of dialogues which occur after escaping the underdark, so it maybe worth doing a search inside files for ("AR that should pull all the dialogue options for specific areas, so you can explore the area, and trigger the dialogues.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 7:40 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

update; slow Progress in reading and playing here, much work on weekdays and 3 days work trip from tmr to saturday, so no time at all then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:06 pm 
Newcomer

That feeling, when you come back 10 years later, and the ToB mod is *still* not finished :D

Offline Profile