Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Thu Jun 21, 2018 7:44 pm

Post subject: Some help with the imoen romance v2 fix
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:05 am 
Priest(ess) of the Pink Mage

Hi guys, im almost finished coding all the missing content from TCDale and bug fixing for the v2 mod.

One question, the duergar part where imoen explains during irenicus torture she was assaulted by a duergar, this is partially removed from V2, imoen doesn't talk about it but you can sort of insult her later on and mention the duergar.

So my question is, does anyone know TCDales intention with this? is V2 not supposed to have any reference to this? or is it supposed to? either way i can put back in Imoen telling the player of her experience of it or not.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Some help with the imoen romance v2 fix
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:47 am 
Acolyte of Imoen

My impression, is that they tried to remove the more extreme language that was contained in the original, and either re-write, or simply remove. If you've played the original, you would see why it was removed (not trying to offend those that haven't btw, felt I might come across that way so put this here).

I guess it depends on the insult. If it mentions what happened, but it wasn't included in the writing, best to skip it, as it wouldn't make sense. If it makes reference only to her not talking about it, then it is probably ok to stay in.

Not sure if I helped or not :?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:01 am 
Initiate of Imoen

My view is that it should not be in, and should never have been in. It is entirely fictional (there's no hint nor evidence of any kind), and places the player in the hands of the writer, rather than in their own tale. It was VERY badly written, too.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:15 am 
Priest(ess) of the Pink Mage

Cool, i'll remove it then.

I've also talked to some other modders who have experience with this mod and elsewhere, and here are some rather strong change's ive made to the mod.

1. I've taken out the kindness counter variable, the mod now works off
the vanilla system of 1=romancing, 2=officially together, 3=just friends.
I've talked with the other modders, and the kindness counter was simply creating too many problems both for the player and for the modders.

It was un-testable and virtually impossible for players to know whether their responses would have an adverse affect on future dialogue possibilities and romance options (since so many dialogues offered +- and other dialogues only appeared in so many different ranges), in the end it just forced players to CLUAConsole the variable up.

2.I've removed the force-chat dialogue and made everything timer based.
Ideally i would have liked to keep this in, but i've talked to other modders and the official developers for the game, and force-talk dialogue is inherently impossible to implement without creating numerous bugs.

Essentially, there is no way for the game to tell the difference between a talk from click, and a talk from script, so any implementation of the force-talk dialogue can create tons of bugs where dialogue triggered outside a click (quest or timer) can suddenly invoke your click dialogue.

It also makes the mod inherently unstable to work with any other mod(imoen friendship, especially the flirt pack), and forces you to install it last just to be safe.

I will test this on both Vanilla (whether install is ok and maybe test the early dream sequences) and EE (ill test the whole game).

I probably cannot test the whole vanilla because that would require me playing through the entire game again.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:43 am 
Initiate of Imoen

The problem with the kindness counter wasn't that it inherently causes problems, but that how it was written was very... haphazard. With that and the player initiated dialog gone, I fear it will feel just like any other bland romance mod; it will lack depth. Sigh!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:11 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

Thanks for the updates. I actually don't mind any of the changes. The kindness counter was a nice idea, but not necessary, imo, and the player initiated dialogues occuring on their own doesn't really take anything too important away.

Looking forward to a version of the mod for EE!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:23 am 
Acolyte of Imoen

I am actually in agreement with Immyrano. The kindness counter made the mod somewhat challenging. Most mods, you just be nice, and the romance works. With the Imoen one, if you took yourself to seriously, you wouldn't form a strong enough bond for the romance to go through.

The player initiated I can understand. You can probably get them to initiate, by getting Imoen to ask if they want to talk about what just happened, then you can say like "Na, I'm ok, thanks though" or "Actually, I was thinking..."

Offline Profile