Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:49 am

Post subject: Wanted: NPC Banters
PostPosted: Thu Aug 26, 2010 2:02 pm 
Forum God

Hello everyone!

I'm writing dialogs, and one thing I realized is that (perhaps obviously) there's some NPCs that I rarely take with me and probably can't write that well.

So, I'm taking volunteers who would like to try their hand at writing some unique NPC dialogs between Imoen and other (Bioware) NPCs.

Notes:
- You have to be fluent in English.
- Just because you write something doesn't mean I'll include it. If I don't think it's appropriate, doesn't fit well, etc., I reserve the right not to include it.
- You don't get anything in return for it, other than a mention in the ReadMe/Credits if your idea / writing is used. And my gratitude :)
- You can volunteer for up to three NPCs, but put them in order of first, second, and third choice.
- I'll fill in the list on a first-come, first-serve basis taking into account your preferences.
- I'll want at least two unique interjections per NPC. They don't have to be about anything specific, but keep in mind the important events for the PC (i.e. Cernd's kid, Edwin's sex change) that might be worth commenting on.
- While we're at it, I'm open to interjections for the TOB part as well. I'll store them for later use :) So specify if you want to write for TOB or for SOA.

If you're interested... let me know!

The List

Aerie - Complete - no additional dialogs needed
Anomen
Cernd
Edwin
Haer'Dalis
Keldorn
Korgan
Jaheira - Done! Great stuff from DoomForge!
Jan
Lilarcor [the talking sword] - Done! Two dialogs by Abdel
Mazzy
Minsc
Nalia
Sarevok [TOB only]
Valygar
Viconia -Done! Nebulae has taken on the drow!

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Wanted: NPC Banters
PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:29 pm 
Junior Acolyte

Based on that: "Aerie-Complete" I assume dialogue is being sent to you...

I sent my banter in for one character, good luck everyone! When all banters are Gathered, will we see them listed here, or will we need to wait for the full version of SoA 2.0?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 7:09 pm 
Newcomer

Damn... had I only known more English and had my parents only bought me BGII in English back in the days. Seems it's finally time to aquire an English copy... With such unique characters styles as with Minsc and Jan I couldn't even attempt to write dialogue.

For Anomen it might be hard to write something indepth since he can change quite a bit depending on the choices you make or depending on where you are in his character progession (might be strange to hear him all noble and righteous during one of his depressed phases).

I hope somebody good takes on Jan. His eccentric and quirky behaviour together with Imoens childish cheerfulness has epic potential.

Question though: Should the writers decide on where to insert the banters or do you have something specific in mind? Obviously a conversation 10 minutes after rescuing her would be vastly different than one after reclaiming her soul.

Another question: You seem to want to assign characters to certain writers. I don't really see the point of that. Obviously it's work on spec either way, so why not have everyone submit as much dialogue as they want/have and you get to pick. Hell, why not include 5 Minsc banters if you get 5 good ones? Another benefit is, that the project can't be delayed by lazy writers who claim characters but never do anything with them. You only take into account the finished and submitted dialogue. Just an idea though...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:44 pm 
Forum God

I would prefer to assign certain people to certain characters, for two reasons:

1) It's no secret that some NPCs (*cough*Minsc*cough) are more popular then others (*sneeze*Cernd*sneeze*). I'd like to avoid a situation where I end up with 25 dialogs for Minsc and Jaheira and 0 for Mazzy and Cernd.

2) It helps me see in advance who's working on what, so I know what *I* have to fill in. If I end up with every NPC covered by someone, then I know I don't have to worry about any NPC banters. If everyone avoids Cernd like the plague, I know to add it to the list of things for me to do.

Of course, if no one wants to sign up for a particular character, then my idea is screwed and I'll take what I can get.

Regarding placement of the dialogs -- you're right, that'll vary for the characters depending on where in the game it takes place. I'd hope that the author would tell me approximately where it'd need to go (e.g. "For Anomen, before his test"). If it's pretty generic, then I can stick it in anywhere of course.

[EDIT]
I changed the list -- added the dialogs by abdel (both of which look good to me so far) and removed Yoshimo, since abdel pointed out there's no way in the Nine Hells that Yoshimo and Imoen can ever talk.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 27, 2010 9:34 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

I'd love to contibute to the mod, but i'm afraid my english won't really suffice... But it's great, that people get the chance to help!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 28, 2010 7:03 am 
Junior Acolyte

Quote:
I changed the list -- added the dialogs by abdel (both of which look good to me so far) and removed Yoshimo, since abdel pointed out there's no way in the Nine Hells that Yoshimo and Imoen can ever talk.

Well, technically they can at the first chapter...
And woohoo! I got dialogue in! And they look good!!!

I'm happy to have played a part in this mod.

I'm surprised you don't have a swamp of private messages by now.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:11 am 
Newcomer

I know I'm a bit late to the party, but if you're still looking for banter writers, I'd be interested. As much as I love Minsc (read: take him as part of every party I ever use, except for evil or when I ABSOLUTELY want to be different), I don't think I could do him justice.

I think I can handle Keldorn quite well, actually. I have a Paladin mindset and think I could handle him fairly well. But please do let me know if you're still looking.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 2:17 am 
Forum God

Yup I'm still looking! As long as this topic doesn't specifically say I'm *not*, then the field is still wide open. Fire away!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Jan 01, 2011 11:54 pm 
Newcomer

Hello TCDale,

I'm a long-time Imoen Romance fan, I've been stalking your (and formerly Lord M's) forums like, forever. :) time to make an appearance.

I'd gladly do some Jaheira dialogue. Particularly where she confronts her feelings about the whole "incest" issue with Imoen.

Also any "conflicted" dialogue you may desire. I write a lot of things - mostly drama stories - so that's where I would be best at.

Tell me if you still need help with this.

Cheers:)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:12 am 
Forum God

Sure, I still need the help! Only Abdel has contributed dialogs, so they're all still open. Feel free to write away and post them to me via private message :)

Offline Profile