Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Mon Jun 18, 2018 12:59 pm

Post subject: Re: Baldur's Gate Enchanced Edition
PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2012 5:02 pm 
Grand Poobah

ohtatyaro wrote:
Yeah, I agree. It some nice pictures in it but overall I liked the original version better too. But hey, maybe we are just being nostalgic

Not really. That intro looks severely under-budgeted.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Baldur's Gate Enchanced Edition
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:06 am 
Junior Acolyte

I rewatched them both: (the new and old) just so I could adequately compare the two. And this is what I think:

The intro was intended for the sake of appealing to an artistic point of veiw, all the while adding more mainstream elements to the original saga... They removed the famous quote at the beginning. I didn't mind since I didn't like the quote. They also made it much shorter. Again, modern players are less interested in story as opposed to real gameplay. The mainstream gamer will most likely skip those chapter transitions. They're less patient and want to play more than observe.

The fact that the knight/guard struggles on his way to the roof where he's begging and cornered is much more powerful than he gets thrown through the door (but less logical to be fair... who would corner themselves like that?) When he begs, it means whoever this guy is, he's lost his dignity, self-respect, and soon his life. In the EE all he lost was his life saying, "no.. you can't." but he said alot more in the old one. No idea why they'd cut it down the way they did.

The newer scene is somewhat more artistic, the way it zooms in on his horrified eye. The strength possessed by Sarevok is emphasized in the old one, and the veiwpoints are still nice to boot.

Unlike the old one, it rains in the EE. And if you're going to make it rain, you can at least make it look like the rain is hitting the ground and not traveling horizontal. Despite that, rain is my favorite weather condition so I'll give them a plus here.

What can I say? I like them both, but the EE intro seems to have an underlying gothic aspect to it wheras the old one had a better fantasy tone. Both of them would be able to blend well with BG. EE is less fitting, and it could've benefitted by not chopping up the intro, but I still enjoyed it.

I must also admit though, I liked the campfire scenes better in EE.

The death here isn't bad at least imo.

Offline Profile