Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:10 pm

Post subject: Baldur's Gate Enchanced Edition
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:22 am 
Newcomer

So, with the EE out, has anyone played it already? From what i gathered modding is, at of this moment, impossible, but a new version of WeiDu is already in the works and we might be able to port many stuff into the EE soon.

The EE already has many elements from BG2 (such as the new classes) so it makes the Trilogy mod very redundant and (as some say) obsolete, this also causes many problems with mods that require BGT to work.

What you guys think about this? do you think it will make the old BG1 mods go into obscurity? or maybe it will attract more people to mod BG1?

I dont have much of a opinion yet, as long as essential mods such as BG1NPCs and such arent compatible, getting the EE is secundary for me.

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Baldur's Gate Enchanced Edition
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:10 pm 
Junior Acolyte

Read some reviews and they don't make much sense, some say it fixes bugs, others say it adds more. From what i gathered there's not much more to it, the only new content i've read about is gladiator battles and 3 npcs. Considering i've never had any issues running the game, unlike many other people it seems, i don't think i'll buy it.

I like that the series is getting new attention, but at the same time they promise future enhanced editions of other classics like BG2, icewind dale and torment, and esepcially the possibility of a BG3, but only if the sales are high enough, otherwise we can forget all about it. Maybe it's just me being jaded and paranoid with today's gaming companies, but i see it as blackmailing their fans into spending money on the same game with pretty graphics.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:23 am 
Grand Poobah

Are the map graphics really the blurred puke that is visible on screenshots or is it just low quality screenshots?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 5:38 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Well, from playing it, here's the features I Found out. the resolution seems to be automatic for whatever resolution you have, you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, there's three new chatty NPC's with a few quests for each, new evil paladin kit, blackguard. And a new 'campaign' that is essentially arena fights, completely seperate from the main game. The HUD is slightly different to BG II

Everything else is pretty much classic BG. with a couple of new items here and there.
Personally I didn't mind shelling out some money for a pre-purchase of it so far. :mrgreen:

Though I have to admit that you could get much of the benefits from the updates from mods, though if you're not mod savvy then perhaps to save yourself a headache buy this.

Edit: There is also the promise of more Free DLC as time passes and it seems there are constant patches as they find new bugs and issues and squish them, so that's kind of cool.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:15 pm 
Newcomer

Tyrell wrote:
Read some reviews and they don't make much sense, some say it fixes bugs, others say it adds more. From what i gathered there's not much more to it, the only new content i've read about is gladiator battles and 3 npcs. Considering i've never had any issues running the game, unlike many other people it seems, i don't think i'll buy it.

I like that the series is getting new attention, but at the same time they promise future enhanced editions of other classics like BG2, icewind dale and torment, and esepcially the possibility of a BG3, but only if the sales are high enough, otherwise we can forget all about it. Maybe it's just me being jaded and paranoid with today's gaming companies, but i see it as blackmailing their fans into spending money on the same game with pretty graphics.

From what i also got in other official sources, it seems about right, they updated the graphics, added some voice acting and made their own "mods" to go with the EE, the 3 npcs & arena quest.

A "BG3" wouldnt make sense, the saga has ended with so much closure you can possibly make a sequel. But i guess the "BG3" title is just meaning a game "just like" BG. If thats the case then you guys might wanna check out Project Eternity, made by Obsedian (former Black Isle).

Also agree with you, never had trouble getting either BG1 or BG2 to work, so i dont see much point in buying the game again.

Dalis918 wrote:
Well, from playing it, here's the features I Found out. the resolution seems to be automatic for whatever resolution you have, you can zoom in and out with the mouse wheel, there's three new chatty NPC's with a few quests for each, new evil paladin kit, blackguard. And a new 'campaign' that is essentially arena fights, completely seperate from the main game. The HUD is slightly different to BG II

Everything else is pretty much classic BG. with a couple of new items here and there.
Personally I didn't mind shelling out some money for a pre-purchase of it so far. :mrgreen:

Though I have to admit that you could get much of the benefits from the updates from mods, though if you're not mod savvy then perhaps to save yourself a headache buy this.

Edit: There is also the promise of more Free DLC as time passes and it seems there are constant patches as they find new bugs and issues and squish them, so that's kind of cool.

As i said, after a decade of modding, there is just so much more stuff avaiable with the high grade mods then the Enchanced Edition could possibly offer me , maybe the devs would help port the BG1 mods? I would love to play Bone Hill with new graphics ;)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 7:55 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Pretty sure I said that you can get as much as they did on the game via mods. :p

to paraphrase:

Though I have to admit that you could get much of the benefits from the updates from mods,

:ugeek:

Well, not really paraphrasing, but restating. ^^

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:24 pm 
Newcomer

Dalis918 wrote:
Pretty sure I said that you can get as much as they did on the game via mods. :p

to paraphrase:

Though I have to admit that you could get much of the benefits from the updates from mods,

:ugeek:

Well, not really paraphrasing, but restating. ^^

Didint really meant to be against what you said, i guess i just came off being redundant, but the ideia of the devs helping make the mods compatible still stands :). I am just not sure if they are fanatical about their work as Chris Avellone or Brian Fargo tho :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 08, 2012 11:51 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

I'll agree there, Modding = good. :mrgreen:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:35 pm 
Junior Acolyte

Read that there's already npcs, quests and even portraits being sold as separate DLC packs :evil:

Also just watched the intro movie... WHAT THE HELL!? It looks like they tried to mimic Thief's cutscene style, except they failed. How can they go from a decent 3D movie to crappy 2D animations and call it enhanced?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 5:03 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Yeah, I agree. It some nice pictures in it but overall I liked the original version better too. But hey, maybe we are just being nostalgic.

I absolutely hated the ending though with this giant bloodpool. I mean, c'mon how much blood can one spill when thrown from a building? I thought for a moment it would turn into the Bhaalskull but it didn't (or well not exactly). Would have been epic if he had been thrown down, his body shattered in pieces of flesh and blood on the ground in the shape of the skull, eh? (Rorschach-style). :D

Offline Profile