Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:49 pm

Post subject: So... Skyrim, anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 3:26 am 
Acolyte of Imoen

I was wondering if anyone has any experience with the Elder Scrolls Saga. It was recommended to me by some friends, but until now, i never got to actually play any of the games. And now that Skyrim is coming out soon, i was wondering whether or not it's necessary to play the other games before, or can i dive right in?
Also, i would be curious if you guys share the opinion, that Oblivion and/or Morrowind are really one of the best RPGs (after the BG series, of course).

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: So... Skyrim, anyone?
PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 8:13 am 
Newcomer

Yes it is quite possible to just dive right into the game and not playing any of the previous ones. Skyrim is set 200 years after the occurance of oblivion(previous game). There will be minor referances and lore aspects that you would appreciate allot more if you've played the previous games of course, but apart from that it's all so different it won't matter at all.

On that note, skyrim is the secound time we're in skyrim, first being arena(first tes game) which had hundreds of cities, and now there are 5(?) major cities and 4(?) minor cities. So obviously it's a huge overhaul(which is also highly understandable and was done with morrowind and oblivion as well).

I do enjoy tes allot, but I'm not that much of a fan. My favorite rpg's are mostly in this order: Baldurs gate trilogy, Gothic(1-2, 3 was ok), planescape then tes. In my opinion, only thing that makes tes series so good is the modding ability. I'd never have survived trough oblivion without any mods(I started on daggerfall, just to clarify that) which is something I easily did with baldurs gate and Gothic series.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 1:41 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

I agree with that. The greatest strength of the games is the modding. Personally my favorite was Morrowind, it had a really gritty dark feel to it and little things like possessed people going up to you, whether or not you made progress in the main quests which made you feel... Hmm maybe I should stop farting around and save the world. :shock:

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 30, 2011 11:57 pm 
Newcomer

I agree, morrowind was my second favorite. Have to put daggerfall above because of the little bit better social interaction(even doh it's quite bad, bethsa's never been good at dialogues). And yeah, nothing more fun then walking into town half dead then having some raging lunatic attacking you, lol.

OP: If you do consider to play morrowind at any time(before or after skyrim, as stated doesn't really matter) be wary of installing tribunal... You'll get assassins hunting you down from the start, and they can be quite hard at pre level 10-20... So be wary of the expansion pack, lol(install it after completing the main morrowind quest or something). Only bad thing about not installing tribunal is that many mods require it...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Oct 31, 2011 8:35 am 
Acolyte of Imoen

Only ever played the console versions so I've no idea of the mods available. I've been considering getting the PC version of Oblivion since I upgraded my laptop. Apparently Skyrim will run on it too. I know I'd prefer the main game on console but that'd lock out all the potential of the modding community...

Maybe I could get the console version at launch and then get the PC version cheap a few months down the line when there's some mods worth getting. Give me something for the summer lull.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:08 am 
Newcomer

Bethesday is actually trying to get Sony and Microsoft to allow their console gamers to have access to modded content for Skyrim. You can read more about it here:

http://www.next-gen.biz/news/skyrim-mods-could-reach-consoles

But yeah, if you play TES, it's best to actually start from the later games and work your way backwards (i.e. Oblivion, then Morrowind then Daggerfall) because while all three are good, Morrowind is considerably better than Oblivion and Daggerfall is better than both. Mods do solve most of Oblivion's problems, but the same can be said for the other two games.

Now, are you guys going to do complete hardcore mode? As in, permadeath (which means on death deleting all save files), no use of map or journal (you have to get your own and write down all the information and draw all the maps/directions as well. How you do this is up to you.) and no use of fast travel, etc. All on hardest difficulty too!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 01, 2011 8:58 pm 
Newcomer

flashfroze wrote:

Now, are you guys going to do complete hardcore mode? As in, permadeath (which means on death deleting all save files), no use of map or journal (you have to get your own and write down all the information and draw all the maps/directions as well. How you do this is up to you.) and no use of fast travel, etc. All on hardest difficulty too!

Don't really know. I'm sure you agree that going hardcore(especially no journal\compas\map) was highly ineffective, if not even impossible in oblivion... Most quest just tell you "find [name of guy]", and he might be at the other side of the world... You get no sort of idea where he'd be, just that you need to find him.... Yay.... If they do this better then I might consider doing it.

If skyrim do have a cart system like morrowin had then I won't do any fast traveling :P, if they don't then I might do selective fast traveling, we'll see. I'm also going to use mods to simulate a more realistic difficulity(1-2 hits and your both dead, yay) since the difficulity in tes only increase the amount of hits you need to hit on the enemy... Quite irritating in my opinion(5minute fights on 1 guy.... It's just pointless). And I won't delete my saves when I die, as obvious <- with those kind of mods you die easily, and all it takes is 1 arrow from a bush and your dead, which is why it's fun.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 02, 2011 4:53 am 
Junior Acolyte

Just note that almost everything Bethesda has recently made has shipped with ridiculous bugs.
Morrowind is my favorite, but I haven't found a good method to get the Bloodmoon expansion to work on my computer, and I just can't bring myself to play without it.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:05 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

Okay, this game includes:

1: Giants that hit so hard that you bounce off the ground and into the stratosphere (not hyperbole)
2; Dragons that show up out of nowhere to ruin your day
3: The ability to yell at people until they spontaneously combust

Also, I became a werewolf within 3 hours of starting. I think I want to marry this game.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 3:23 pm 
Acolyte of Imoen

Haha that sounds like fun. I'll have to wait until monday for my copy... Oh well, more time for MW3.

Offline Profile