Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Fri Aug 17, 2018 5:03 am

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Tabletop Roleplaying
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 1:38 pm 
Forum God

Ah, 1e. Back when 'elf' was a class. Back when level 9 was name-level. Back when players knew what name-level WAS.

The good old days that I don't miss in the slightest.

(I'd play 2e again with the right group and some alternate rules, but dear god, 1e is just... well, 1e)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 2:22 pm 
Grand Poobah

What was "name-level"?

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 6:02 pm 
Newcomer

In defense of 1e, it has lot of flexibility to it. Honestly, we use a hybrid 1e/4e - taking the strong points (like AC, for only one example) of each. The result is a very open game that allows the dice to act seer, as well as referee, and the players don't have to dredge through an hour or two of just getting their characters ready to begin playing. Also, we unified all saves into a single number - so you can save vs 'anything'. Example: Save vs. 'Falling House' - you definitely want to make your save on that one!

The point that Gary Gygax tried to explain in his DM's Guide was to make the Game your own - create your own world, tweak the rules to heart's desire - make it yours and keep it fun. And it won't be fun if you give the players everything they want - in D&D (of any sort) fun comes through adversity.

My goal as DM is to keep the game going in the direction that the players decide vs the fate of the dice. People get hooked on our games quick! I have friends who call me up during the week asking me about what's going to happen next, as they can hardly wait for our Saturday AD&D session to commence. We start early on Saturday and sometimes play well into Sunday morning.

Weingooler

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 9:20 pm 
Forum God

Despair wrote:
What was "name-level"?

Name-level was the level at which you began to really get a "name" for yourself in the world around the game. The people told stories about you in other towns; that the local nobility had heard of your reputation, and so forth. The level at which you could begin gaining followers and build a stronghold of your own.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 4:18 am 
Initiate of Imoen

I started plaing D&D then AD&D when it first came out. D&D had Elf as a clash not AD&D. I looked it up as I still have some of the original books. I purchase my first DM's Guide at GENCON in 1979 and itwas signed by Mr D&D himself, Gary Gygax 8-) . I still play 1e with a diehard group about 1 weekend a month.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 8:21 am 
Forum God

If you still have that signed copy, you'd get a fortune for it now!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:00 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

I stll have it. I have been offered quite a lot for it, but it is not for sale. Some of the memories attached are worth a lot more than money. :)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Mar 13, 2010 11:41 pm 
Newcomer

I havnt done table top in at least a decade or more but it was fun. Although my character at the time used the same. "negotiating" method that Korben Dallas did (with swords) in the movie 5th element only... umm i didnt know the person i was "negotiating" with was a high level mage of some sort and well they started mumbling somthing and everyone ran sooo so did I barly missing a fireball ...still took some minor damage and some really umm peterbed party lol for some reason they didnt aprove of my negotiating tactics lol

10 ways to Boost Your Health

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Mar 19, 2010 8:28 pm 
Priest(ess) of the Pink Mage

I got my DnD 3rd Edition Starter Set for my 13st birthday (the starter sets were horrible things with incredibly dumbed down rules and all that) but that got me hooked and later I bought the 3rd Edition Players Handbook (for the crippling sum of 30€) and by then had coaxed some of my friends to play with me. Until the way of my and my then best friend parted at the end of grade ten we regularly played, usually just me as DM and one player, but sometimes with 2 or 3 players. Two times we had a large round with 8 players, which was steep between awesome and nightmare for me as DM.
Whenever I see footage of a DnD game I remain somewhat proud that my sessions never looked like that and my ego says thats because I'm a better writer and performer than some people so that I can present story and dialogue in a nice fashion. But of course I have no idea.

Around the time I turned 17 we had stopped, mostly because me and my former friend S didn't talk to one another anymore (drifted apart, so to speak) and my other main player was in and out of every kind of institution except jail.

I own Vampire: The Requiem and the WoD Second Edition rulebook but never played.

Sometimes I really miss it.. sitting in semi darkness at 1AM and letting a bewildered player creep through a dungeon is a treasured memory of my adolescence. I refuse to admit that I've grown up a bit.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2010 8:58 pm 
Newcomer

I got into playing D&D when I was in grade school, ofcourse it was just friends and I making up our own rules, but it was still fun. :) I think we had one d20 between us all. xD I got into playing 2nd edition later and played that for several years before I left Viriginia for 2 years on a trip to Macedonia. When I came back and moved down to Austin, I found a 3rd ed group and played with them for a bit. I never managed to play 3.5, couldn't find a group for a while, but then I got into a 4th ed group, didn't care much for the system, but I had fun with the group, so it all worked out. :)

As for other games, I used to play the Rifts RPG, had so much fun with that game, heh, but no one wants to play it anymore. xD It doesn't help that I'm hopeless at DMing, ah well.

I've been playing Star Wars Saga Edition for a couple of years now, in 3 campaigns over the time, also playing a Star Wars d6 at the moment.

Gotta love those RPGs. :)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 39 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next