Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:48 pm

Post subject: Tabletop Roleplaying
PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 8:49 pm 
Forum God

I'm a die-hard roleplayer... although probably not as much as Lord Ernie. I started playing in AD&D (that's 2nd edition D&D) back when I was around 13-14, graduated to playing with 'real' groups (serious groups) around 16-17, and eventually moved on to 3.5 D&D. I've tried 4e, but I really didn't care for it.

So... for people who do tabletop roleplay, share your experiences, likes, dislikes, etc. Everyone has their own favorite characters, memorable moments, funny occurrences, etc. Want to share some?

Offline Profile  

Post subject: Re: Tabletop Roleplaying
PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 1:55 pm 
Newcomer

I started playing and DMing in 3rd/3.5 with the friends i still play with today. first we ran small adventure thaT never really went anywhere and were very amateurish. eventually i finally Dmed a more stable campaign and sessions which lasted for a while. then after a long hiatus of roleplaying in RL (though i still rped many kinds of RPGs online. from chatbox and forum games to NWN 2) We tried out 4e and liked it a decent bit.

Now me and my mates play regurelaly and after a long main campaign we are now just starting alternating between 2 different campaigns. 1 totally new, 1 a epic level sequel on the main campaign that my friend ran and that has been goin on since lvl 1, Im gonna be Dming this sequel.

We pretty much only play evil campaigns with monster race PCs.

In 3rd edition days i played a Ghoul rogue that was kind of like the abused dog of the group. constantly beaten down and bullied by the rest of the party he eventually betrayed them and with another group (the new pcs of the other players since they wanted a switch) he killed them all.

later in 3rd i played a Imp cleric of mask that overcompensated for his size on hugely long titles and speeches for himself.

In 4th Edition i have been playing a really cool Hobgoblin warlock named Torg'glan'ror The Dark Devourer, who's kinda like a mix between shredder, dr.evil and dr.claw. really great at making evil speeches and he's currently leading an army with the rest of the party to conquer the goody two shoe land of Velen.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:50 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Never had much tabletop rpg experience, perchaps the reason for that is in my city size -_-
Or im totally anty-social... But played some games of a system called "Eye of Yrhedes" or something :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:52 am 
Newcomer

I have never played tabletop rolepaying games :s

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:42 am 
Grand Poobah

Deskath wrote:
Never had much tabletop rpg experience, perchaps the reason for that is in my city size -_-
Or im totally anty-social...

Also, I played a few quick sessions with my cousin. They tended to get grotesque, though.

Oh and I DM D&D Adventure Game to one kiddie and his older sister. She got scared and quit when I described results of hits.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 5:24 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Quote:
She got scared and quit when I described results of hits.

Damn those criticals... :P

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 6:27 pm 
Grand Poobah

These weren't critical hits. Just normal hits.
Ordinary stuff like:
"You stab the goblin in the stomach. The goblin screams as you withdraw your blade. Blood spurts and his innards flow out. He staggers and falls, twitching in agony."
or
"A glowing ball of light flies out of your wand. It hits the goblin, blowing his skull apart and scattering his brain around."

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 9:55 pm 
Initiate of Imoen

Nice, u had time and imagination :D

I only once tried to be a GM and stopped while trying to imagine what a 2hander crit (damn lucky bastard did 40+ dmg) to a 5hp mob...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 9:44 am 
Newcomer

Been playing tabletop like forever: still remember impersonating MK characters at age of ~11 =D

Played through 2\3\3.5\4 dnd editions, but ended with the home-made system and setting for the best-of-all games. My rp expirience vary from pure action-based games to refined social-oriented ones; the favourite are the ones that have it all in them.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 06, 2010 10:26 am 
Forum God

I have to say I'm having a ton of fun in my current campaign. It's only once a month, but the players are all older (28-40), all experienced, and all roleplayers (instead of hack and slashers). I play again on the 14th, so I'll let you guys know how it goes :)

I'm playing a human Dread Necromancer (a new class from the Heroes of Horror book). The catch is that I'm not evil -- I'm actually Chaotic Neutral. Not in the sense of "totally batshit insane", but Chaotic in the sense of "if breaking laws gets you what you need, so be it".

The neutral part is because she doesn't study death (and necromancy) because she's evil, but rather because she's actually very afraid of death and dying and is trying to find a way to prevent it from happening. A class feature of the Dread Necromancer: when you reach level 20 (if you do) you become a lich. Problem solved!

I'm also confusing the hell out of the party's (good-aligned) cleric. I have a feat called Tomb-Tainted Soul, whcih means that negative energy heals me and positive energy harms me. So, the cleric tried to heal me and nearly left a huge smoking hole in my chest. And I seem to know a lot about undead, which is suspicious.

But, he can't turn me (so I'm obviously NOT undead), and 'detect evil' doesn't show anything. And I'm helpful and loyal to my friends. Oh, and Dread Necromancers can wear light armor and wield one martial weapon (of their own choice, chosen at level 1): so I'm walking around in a chain shirt with a composite longbow.

He's very, very confused :)

Offline Profile