Login | Register

All times are UTC + 1 hour [ DST ]

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:03 pm

Post subject: Re: Top 5 Cutest Redheads in Gaming
PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 5:08 pm 
Newcomer

Quote:
The only thing worse than the list were the attempts at comedy, sheesh. =/

Duly noted...I'll try to refrain from bad humor whenever I speak to you in the future

Quote:
Also, a question for Nebulae; is The Longest Journey anything like its sequel Dreamfall (that I picked up without knowing anything about), in that it's totally linear? It was a fascinating world to walk through, but.... it just got so dull after awhile. Even Planescape The Playable Novel had some challenge to it.

I don't know if you have played more or less point and click adventures than I have but every single one I have played have had a fairly linear story and by "fairly" I mean completely (sorry last bad joke, I swear to god) I think it's a part of the game genre, anyway so yes it's very linear since you can't actually fail as far as I know, if you don't find an important item the story won't let you proceed

"it is the very last inch of us..."

"but within that inch we are free"

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:17 pm 
Priest(ess) of the Pink Mage

I'm kinda confused as to how a P&C adventure could be linear. Obviously you sometimes get a few places, can move around them freely and talk to people, but there's only one way to advance the plot. That's kinda how these things work.. isn't it?

But April still rocks. :)

A lot more than Zoe from Dreamfall.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2011 10:48 pm 
Junior Acolyte

Nebulae wrote:

I don't know if you have played more or less point and click adventures than I have but every single one I have played have had a fairly linear story and by "fairly" I mean completely (sorry last bad joke, I swear to god) I think it's a part of the game genre, anyway so yes it's very linear since you can't actually fail as far as I know, if you don't find an important item the story won't let you proceed

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_Cr ... video_game)

Mission Critical will mercilessly kill you when you make errors. Many of the events run on timers, and if you fail to figure out what you are supposed to be doing you will die. A lot.

It was one of my favorite games as a kid....

/edit: With regards to linearity, you could do some things out of order, so long as you did not fall behind schedule on anything, i.e. disable the bomb before repairing the comm array.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 6:02 am 
Newcomer

Oh, I didn't mean your (Nebulae) humor! Just the original video that was linked! I fail at communicating within three posts...

And maybe linear wasn't the best choice of words either (as you can see, I already have a theme here.) But, the lack of challenge. It's been quite awhile sense I played Dreamfall, but I remember running around areas, and there simply wasn't anything to do aside from the main plot. No conversations, nothing to pick up, nothing that could help or hinder you. No real immersion into the world or ways to stray off the path.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 11:47 am 
Grand Poobah

Lisra wrote:
I'm kinda confused as to how a P&C adventure could be linear. Obviously you sometimes get a few places, can move around them freely and talk to people, but there's only one way to advance the plot. That's kinda how these things work.. isn't it?

Well, in a non-linear P&C adventure there could be a branching plot with multiple endings. I think some older P&C adventure games had multiple badends.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 2:16 pm 
Priest(ess) of the Pink Mage

Sierra games certainly had 1000 ways to end bad. :D

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:31 pm 
Newcomer

Quote:
Sierra games certainly had 1000 ways to end bad.

I have heard tales of this strange beast we call Sierra games, they were a little bit before my time so I never played them, but I have heard that one or two of their games was literary unbeatable because of bugs :lol: (this of course was in the days of ancient yore before the Internet so a patch were unthinkable)

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2011 8:46 pm 
Newcomer

Quote:
Oh, I didn't mean your (Nebulae) humor! Just the original video that was linked! I fail at communicating within three posts...

No no really I'm the one who should apologize I'm afraid I'm actually utterly and dreadfully foreign ;) so one has to be lamentably over-the-top clear when speaking to me, just imagine yourself speaking to an infant or perhaps a puppy, and I should be able to understand you (hopefully :oops:)

Offline Profile